Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Reminder of Two Special Granfields xxx


This ornament wasn't very expensive, in fact it cost me £4.99 in 1997, funny the things you remember, but it is worth a million....

At the beginning of December 1997, I was five months pregnant with Xene, we were living in our very first rented flat, waiting to move into our very own mortgaged house, I was a student nurse, trying to finish my first 18 months core programme before baby came along, Asa was working as a Duty Manager at a Local Leisure Centre.

We didn't have very much money, but enough to buy presents for family members.
I had bought a pair of tracksuit bottoms for my Grandad, I was much more organised then!

But that December in 1997 wasn't great, my Grandad never made it to Christmas, and he never got the tracksuit bottoms I had carefully wrapped for him. So in January I took them back to the store and spent a very long time going through the Christmas Ornaments, trying to find the right one, and this is him...

This little fellow has stood on my mantelpiece every Christmastime since then, to remind me of you Grandad.

Two years later, I was pregnant with Lochlan, our family suffered another blow, my Uncle Freddy went to join my Grandad.

So now when I look to my mantelpiece I remember two Granfields, I miss you both and am sorry that you never got to see my six wonderful children, but I do tell them all about you and they all know to be extra careful with Mummys Special Ornament xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment